Christian Clarke's Reviews > Harvey Penick's Little Red Book: Lessons and Teachings From a Lifetime of Golf

Harvey Penick's Little Red Book by Harvey Penick

Aug 09, 10

bookshelves: golf
Read in January, 2010

I confess: I've lost myself to golf addiction. Practicing, playing, watching youtube clips of past golf stars, perusing Golf magazines, and, finally, stocking up on golf-books. I now think more about golf than sex.

In the Canon of golf-related texts there are but few that I'm aware of, such as Ben Hogan's technical treatise on the fundamentals of the no-hook swing and Jack Nicklaus's Golf My Way. I've read Hogan's, but not Jack's, although I've seen excerpts of the video online. In fact, the only golf book I'v read was given to me in my first incarnation as a golfer (ages 8-18). It was Harvey Penick's Little Red Book.

Harvey Penick was two years older than Yoda when he died in 1995, and by the time he passed he had acquired guru status as a teacher. He, however, did not see himself as a guru. He saw himself as "growing caddy."

Now to the book.

It's good. It's a collection of "notes" (pithy vignettes) on topics ranging from the grip, to the backswing, to putting, to reflections on his famous students. It's folksy stuff. Very endearing.

That's all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harvey Penick's Little Red Book.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sa'id Cortijo I'm with you. I got the fever too.

Christian Clarke You golf around NYC?