J. Else's Reviews > The Goblin Wood

The Goblin Wood by Hilari Bell

Aug 17, 2010

Read from August 09 to 17, 2010

Very enjoyable read with a strong plot not always found in young adult fantasies and an insightful message. Strong parallels to World History with mankind pushing aside and persecuting those who are different from them in order to take over their lands. The characters develop well in the story. Makenna, leader for the goblins against mankinds cruelty, comes to realize the world is not so simple/black and white. She sees that her enemies are just leaders like her doing what they have to to help their people survive and thrive. Its only when her and the other main character, Tobin, comes to these realizations that their characters become truly engaging and interesting. These characters must use their mind to solve problems and absorb these changes. Very well written especially when the chapters transition between the two characters. It never gets confusing. Even when the author uses realm-specific language, its never trips up the reader. The way she uses the words lends to their definition. The book flowed by, and it really did not feel like I was reading close to 300 pages. Both the "good" and "bad" guys are likeable. You understand them which I think is the true message of the story - understanding! The goblins are mischeivious and fun. In the end, I was satisfied with the way it all came together. I do not think it could have ended another way. Well done! Not the most rich and developed world in fantasy, but overall it had some clear ideas to think about and good characters to journey with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Goblin Wood.