Sue's Reviews > An Echo in the Darkness

An Echo in the Darkness by Francine Rivers

Aug 08, 10

I would never have read this book if it weren't for the first chapter being included in Book One & having such a shocking discovery conceled inside.
These Francine Rivers books are just one step over edifying trash-romance novels. The doctrine of Francine is spelled out so distinctly, there is no room left for the reader to draw any of her own conclusions, Francine, thinly veiled in her character's voices, force-feeds her exact doctrine to the reader. Which I have more trouble with conceptually than I did with the specifics of her doctrine - I want an author who lets me think instead of drawing every conclusion for me.

I get drawn in to these stories. I think the outlines for the stories are great, but the writing & editing are not judicios enough. So I am hereby declaring myself done with Francine's books. Thankfully, three in two months has over saturated me to the point of mo return.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Echo in the Darkness.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan I like the way you said this.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Jones yes, I felt like I needed more "room" to imagine and I don't think this type of Christian piety would've been practiced in this way at that time. It feels like more of a 1970s "believe in your heart" thing.