Angela's Reviews > But I Wouldn't Have Missed It for the World!: The Pleasures and Perils of an Unseasoned Traveler

But I Wouldn't Have Missed It for the World! by Peg Bracken

Aug 08, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction, travel
Recommended to Angela by: Grandma
Read in September, 2006, read count: 1

While it was published in 1973, and therefore some of the advice is out of date (like tipping, and she keeps talking about typing the book on her typewriter, and she owns a Datsun,,,a NEW Datsun) There is much of the advice that is still good stuff. What to pack, the benefits and downfalls of package deals) She also suggests bringing a journal and a pencil (pencils will still write on wet paper) for thoughts that a photograph just can't capture (there are places you can't take photos, and there are 4 other senses that photographs CANT capture) -- and she says, if you see something you want - buy it. Don't wait to see if you can get a better deal or a better item somewhere later -- if you do, buy two. :-)

She has quotes from various folks sprinkled through the book, these were the ones I thought about writing down:

"A trip is what you taken when you can't take any more of what you've been taking." -- Adeline Ainsworth

"Now that our marriage has survived the joys of travel, we're certain that it can survive just about anything." -- Judith Viorst

"There are worse things than being fat, and one of them is worrying about it all the time." -- Peg Bracken herself on page 193 -- after discussing the food issues while traveling.

All in all, this was worth reading. A fun read with some good info and great stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read But I Wouldn't Have Missed It for the World!.