Megan's Reviews > Dirty Little Secrets

Dirty Little Secrets by C.J. Omololu

Aug 08, 2010

bookshelves: favorites, not-mine-library, young-adult
Read from May 29 to 30, 2011

C.J. Omololu had me at hoarding.

Megan glued to the television: *gasp* “Ewww!”
Hubby in the next room: “If it’s so disturbing, why are you watching it?”
Megan: “Oh my gawd! You have to come see this!”
Hubby: “I. Will. Not.”
Megan: “No, really! Yougottacomeseewhatthesepeople…”
Hubby: “It’s the same thing every week. Some fat person is too lazy to clean her house. End of story!”

But it’s not the same thing on every episode of Hoarders. Each person has a different obsession, rationale, family issue… I could go on and on here. In her debut novel, C.J.Omololu tackles the oh so fascinating subject of compulsive hoarding and the toll it takes on a family. Dirty Little Secrets is the story of Lucy, a teenage girl desperately trying to cover up the fact that her mother is one of the worst sort of hoarders. Junk piled in every available space. Years of garbage in the house. Questionable plumbing. Non-functional kitchen. Busted furnace. You get the picture, right?

This is a quick read, and although it only covers a day or so in Lucy’s life, we learn so much about her, her mother and her siblings through memories and reflections. When things go wrong, Lucy makes some questionable decisions. Had her story been one told through the media or an episode of Hoarding: Buried Alive it would be so easy to judge and condemn her. Omololu manages to make us sympathize with and understand the choices Lucy makes, even though her actions may be drastic and not the most well formed plan.

Once again, this is one of those novels that I am finding it difficult to write a review for without giving away spoilers. However, I did love the writing and the characters. Lucy is not a YA heroine to look up to. She is a teenager who has had a fucked up life and copes the best she can. Somehow, in her rash and poor decision making, she comes across as more realistic than many YA protagonists.

This is a book that I definitely recommend for just about anyone. It’s fast paced, disturbing, intense and about hoarders. Need I say more? =)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dirty Little Secrets.

05/18/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana You hubby sounds exactly like mine re: this show, but I can never look away:)

Megan It's so addictive! Must be a gender thing, lol. Guys never get sucked into watching Hoarders the same way girls do.

Spider the Doof Warrior Sweet... People on Hoarders are not always fat. Besides, it helps me clean my apartment.

Megan Synesthesia wrote: "Sweet... People on Hoarders are not always fat. Besides, it helps me clean my apartment."

That's what I tell my hubby, he just doesn't get it, lol. Yeah, it is great inspiration for cleaning the house.

Spider the Doof Warrior Yeah, because you don't want to have a bunch of people have to come and dig you out o fa mess.

Haven't watch that show in a while though. Or intervention for that matter. I like to cheer when they stay clean on that show.