Sonya's Reviews > Test of Faith

Test of Faith by Aleksandr Voinov

Aug 09, 10

bookshelves: historical, m-m, made-me-cry
Read on August 09, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Powerful. Two men secure in their respective faiths, that make them enemies, become more to each other than lovers. Thierry's faith was vibrant and gave him a peace that others search for and rarely find. Abdul's anger and bitterness towards his former religion was tangible. The respect that grew between the two was genuine and heartfelt. The ending was exactly as it should have been. This short book moved me more than I thought possible.
"We are men, fighting God's war. Do you think it strange?" -Abdul Basir
A question for the ages if ever I heard one.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Test of Faith.

message 1: by ElaineY (new)

ElaineY Sonya, I refused to read this book. I know how it ends, that's why. This is the kind of story Aleks excels at and if I read it, I'd be traumatized. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night or function during the day. Religion is important to me (it goes together with Trauma) and I know this book would absolutely devastate me.

Sonya I can understand your stance Elaine. Religion is important to me also but this book, IMHO, showed the value of faith and how faith carries you. The ending was so sad and as weird as it may sound the ending uplifted me. Thierry kept his faith and was able to die with honor and a clear conscience.
Abdul, on the other hand, still has issues to work out. He has not worked out his pain and bitterness towards Christianity. He thinks he has but he has not. I wanted him to understand the actions and responses of Saladin and Thierry. Abdul understood in his head but not in his heart and that's why he was so devastated at the end.

message 3: by DL (new) - rated it 5 stars

DL I can understand why Elaine won't read this book but I am also sad. This was such a powerful book. I loved the fact that both men were able to keep their beliefs and not compromise. I think it was more insightful because Abdul couldn't understand. I would love Aleks to re-visit him in afew years and see how that encounter changed his perceptions.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Dlee wrote: "I can understand why Elaine won't read this book but I am also sad. This was such a powerful book. I loved the fact that both men were able to keep their beliefs and not compromise. I think it w..."

It was a powerful story. But I think Abdul was Raev's character and Thierry was Aleks'.

message 5: by DL (new) - rated it 5 stars

DL I never can figure out what is what when authors share.

message 6: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Raev said she might revisit Abdul. :) (And yes, it's her character).

message 7: by DL (new) - rated it 5 stars

DL So, is Raev open to bribery?

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

How much we talkin' here? ;)

message 9: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov *watches the poker and waits for the firstborn children to be mentioned*

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

No children, please! I don't have a dutch oven to fit them in yet.

message 11: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov She could free you from your kitten, Raev?

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

...yeah, that'll work.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

You know...don't the time frames work out to use Abdul in your "Lion of Kent" story line? Or do I have the wrong crusade? Interesting possibilities for 3 ways (authors and characters :D) there!

message 14: by DL (new) - rated it 5 stars

DL So, you ARE open to bribery! Good to know. I'll think of something...

message 15: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov @Kate: Interesting idea. The third part of "Lion's Pride" (the series) is set just after Hattin. (I never let good research go to waste)