Ryan's Reviews > The Winter King

The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell

M 50x66
Aug 08, 2010

Being 'Sharp' fan I decided to look into other books by Bernard Cornwell. Seeing that Cornwell wrote a trilogy based on the King Arthur mythology I was curious his take on the legend.

I can honestly say hands down that Bernard Cornwell's interpretation of a historical King Arthur is the best I have ever read, I highly recommend the Warlord Chronicles to anyone. He paints a time and world that is dark and gritty. Life is tough and death means nothing.

Through the eyes of Derfel Cadarn the reader sees a historical fantasy of King Arthur unfold. The characters and battles feel really real like you're in the thick of the shield wall. But it's not all about war and battles we learn of the lands political problems and dispositions, a divided Britain fighting to unite against the coming Saxon invasion.

Throughout the series we see Derfel and Arthurs ups and downs throughout their lives from winning battles and titles, to marriage and infidelity. After reading the first book I could not keep these books closed, despite knowing the general mythos and how Arthurs tale ends it felt very refreshing and keeps the reading wanting more.

Though it is called historical fiction I still feel it has the fantasy elements of magic and gods. Though it may be in an unconventional way not really seen in fantasy work the workings of magic and the powers of gods and artifacts are prevalent throughout.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Winter King.

07/22 marked as: read