Jennifer Defoy's Reviews > The Bride Collector

The Bride Collector by Ted Dekker

This was a very disturbing book, on a few levels. There's the serial killer, the Bride Collector, who is killing God's chosen one's. What's even more disturbing than the killings themselves is the fact that the Bride Collector truly thinks he is doing God's will by killing these women. Then there is the fact that the killer is using detective Brad Raines' past to get close to him, through the victims. So yes it was disturbing, but it was a great story!

I really liked the characters. Raines was great, he was dealing with a past that was being brought back for him to confront. The killer was insane, but yet his convictions were so strong, I understood why he thought what he was doing was right. Nikki, was a likable character, although she was a bit underdeveloped. But in the end I don't think her character was a main focus for the book. She was just a means to an end. Then there was the brood from the Center for Wellness and Intelligence. Paradise plays a large role in the book, and while she suffers from mental illness she was very "normal". My favorite character was probably Roudy. He was so serious about everything that he came off as a bit humorous to me.

One thing I really liked about this novel is that it showed mental illness in a very respectable light. The characters from the Center for Wellness and Intelligence all had their issues, but there wasn't any condescension surrounding them. There were quite a few times when Raines would make a comment to the effect of "and you're the crazy one". It truly showed that just because someone has a mental illness does not make them stupid, or ignorant, or any less of a human being. And while the characters in this book were different they weren't projected as being animals, which I think is a view that is normally painted around patients in mental hospitals.

I really liked the narrator in this one. John Glover's voice was easy to listen to, and he had so much character in his voice. While he is a recognizable person I didn't see his well-known characters while listening to him.

My only complaint with this one was that it was so long. Getting through the first 5 CDs seemed like it took forever. After the 6th CD though things picked right up. The last 7 CDs I went through quite fast. I hated having to switch CDs because I didn't want to have to take a break in the story.

Overall well written book with great characters and a great story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bride Collector.