Naeem's Reviews > Global Rift

Global Rift by L.S. Stavrianos

Jan 03, 08

bookshelves: favorite-books-of-a-lifetime

This came out in 1980. There is still no book like it. It is the closest thing we have to a history of the 3rd world. starts in the 16 century and takes us into the 20th. 800 pages of what is otherwise carefully hidden history.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Global Rift.

message 1: by Spoust1 (new)

Spoust1 Is there a book you would recommend that covers the gap between the book's publication and the present moment?

Naeem Two books by Vijay Prashad might do the trick. The first is The Darker Nations, the second, The Poorer Nations. Neither does what Stavrianos does, but both are premised on having read Stavrianos and updating him.

message 3: by Spoust1 (last edited Apr 14, 2013 11:44AM) (new)

Spoust1 Okay. I picked up the book for a great price at a sale, but I am always apprehensive about history books. My desire not to miss out on recent scholarship oscillates with a suspicion of the ideology of intellectual progress such that I am never confident what to read in that section. With an area like history, where time as such is at stake, the questions of the meaning of timelessness and timeliness become even more complicated than they usually are.