Hollis's Reviews > The Future of Life

The Future of Life by Edward O. Wilson

Sep 18, 10

Read from August 14 to September 17, 2010

The focus of the book was on the preciousness of biodiversity and how to preserve it for the future. I LOVED the intro - a letter to Thoreau at Walden Pond. The book itself, while on a subject near and dear to my heart was a lot of detailed information about a subject of which I'm pretty well informed, so I found myself scanning most of it. I was most interested in the 'solutions' chapter at the end, but found it less than satisfying. The gist of his suggestions seemed to center on NGOs (non-government organizations) such as Conservation International and the Nature Conservancy, who are buying up land in 'hot-spots' around the land and working with the local governments to find ways to generate income from parks through eco-tourism as well as the search for raw materials for future commerce in plants and animals. While I commend this work and DO think it's important, I think we need more ways to communicate with those who don't understand the importance of this in ways that everyone can agree and support. I'd also like to see more about HOW to use this idea to help to transform some of the poverty in the developing world that gives rise to the over-use in the first place. The book was almost 10 years old, so I'm curious about the future of some of the efforts mentioned.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Future of Life.