Aurelie's Reviews > The Catcher in the Rye

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

Aug 17, 10

bookshelves: classics, favorites
Read from August 08 to 17, 2010

The Catcher in the Rye is a story about a teenage boy, Holden Caulfield, and his encounters with different people after being expelled from his school and running errands in New York, avoiding to return to his family.

Yes, Holden is a jerk. He is a teenage boy, dealing with angst, confusion, alienation and identity issues, then becoming an icon for teenage rebellion. He is so unlikable that you end up liking him a little bit. At least that's how I felt reading it. I am well aware that a lot of people dislike this book and even more the hero (or more like the antihero), but I think that's how teenage years feel like. Not for everyone, of course (thank god !), but a lot of teenagers feel like Holden at least once in their life.

I personally like the story, and despite the unlikable hero, this book is a classic of modern American Literature.
It is not for everyone, but if you want to read classics and especially american classics, you should read Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Catcher in the Rye.

Quotes Aurelie Liked

J.D. Salinger
“Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.”
J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye