Lisa-Buttery_Books's Reviews > On Folly Beach

On Folly Beach by Karen White

Aug 08, 10

Read in July, 2010

This is my first Karen White novel and I loved every minute of it! This intriguing novel is the perfect mix of mystery and history. The mystery begins when a young widow finds notes written in the margins of books. The notes take her on a journey to the 1940s as she discovers the secrets of a South Carolina family. This book is also about book lovers, which always immediately helps me identify with the characters.

This book was a great choice for our book club party, especially for the history buffs. We had fun discussing the characters, who each had secrets of their own.

The reference to bottle trees was an interesting feature of the book. They were used by slaves to scare away evil spirits and in the book were used to communicate with loved ones. Lulu loved the bottle trees, which was fitting for a young girl who had so many ghosts in her life.

One main theme of On Folly Beach is knowing when one has waited long enough to move on after the loss of a loved one. Emmy's mom told her "Love doesn't have a time span. Only pain does" So true.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Folly Beach.