Aaron's Reviews > Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln

Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin

Nov 12, 12

Read in November, 2012

Parts of this book made me cry--especially the ending. I decided to jump on the bandwagon and read this book, (along with James McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom).

I don't trust the average man/woman's opinion when it comes to the Civil War and Lincoln. I am especially dubious of views coming from the neo-Confederate camp (Conservative Libertarians). I only see ignorance--especially when they blast Lincoln for destroying "their civil rights."

Ideas such as state rights, nullification, and free market economics are nothing new and have reinvented themselves in today's political mess. Yep folks, it's Civil War Part Deux. Sadly, many of our fellow Americans have hitched onto this craziness--just as they did in antebellum America. They trust more in the words of the great Conservative entertainment complex than they do trained historians and writers. As for me, I will stick with McPherson and Kearns-Goodwin and my other books when it comes to the American Civil War and Lincoln. Call me crazy, I actually trust people who have spent hundreds of hours researching and writing these excellent histories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Team of Rivals.