Shea's Reviews > Fly Away Home

2085387
Aug 07, 2010

liked it
Read from August 07 to 08, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I would give this novel a 3.5. I liked it all the way up until the ending. At first, I didn't think I would like it very much when I thought it was just about Sylvie. I'm sorry, but I'm just not interested in a 50-something politician's wife whose husband cheated on her. But, luckily, Lizzie and Diana's stories were told as well, which I think is why I enjoyed the book so much. I think I identify as a mix between Lizzie (who's my age and doesn't know what she wants to do with her life) and Diana (an overachiever who excelled academically because she wasn't good at anything else and wanted to be noticed).
This book reminded me a lot of Emily Giffin's Heart of the Matter, which I just read a few months ago. It's strange, because while both novels are about infidelity, I felt completely opposite on how I wanted each story to end. With Giffin's book, I wanted the main character to take her husband back; it seemed like the right thing to do given the circumstances. But in this, I didn't want Sylvie to take Richard back, which is why I wasn't a fan of the ending (not that it is set in stone she will, but come on, we can all tell that's how it's going to go). I think it's interesting how your idea of infidelity can change from case to case, from novel to novel, and even within a novel itself. For instance, I didn't judge Diana too much for cheating on her husband, but I didn't like Richard because he cheated on his wife. Is it a double standard? Or is it the reason for cheating that allows us to pass judgement or not? I guess the reason I thought it was okay for Diana was because she didn't love her husband, and I thought (and so did she) it was a mistake that she married him in the first place.
In any case, I read this one in two days. It was definitely one of those novels you pick up and don't want to put down until you finish it. And, as always, anything that makes me think is a good book in my opinion.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fly Away Home.