Logan's Reviews > A Local Habitation

1961707
Aug 07, 10

bookshelves: fantasy, thriller
Read in August, 2010

Ugh. I wanted to like this, and I wanted to support this author b/c I like to support local talent, but this books was torturous. After the first book, which I enjoyed more, my wife and I were discussing how much we didn't like October Daye, the main character. She's got a bad attitude and a huge chip on her shoulder, for no apparent reason. Or for the reason that that seems to be the rule for paranormal directives, and no other. She was turned into a fish for 14 years prior to the events of the original book, but that's not why she's so bitter and faux-surly(nothing is believable regarding her saltiness, she just reads as a bipolar jerk.) This time around, there are weird allusions to her relationship to her mom, who apparently "went crazy" and her anger at the Faery caste system, but none of this is developed. She also has a husband and child whom she last saw before being turned into a fish, and this subplot is dropped completely, which is also senseless. It's way more interesting to mine the emotional potential of the loss/regaining of these relationships than to slog through 300+ pages of boring "mystery" that the reader can figure out almost instantly, yet the great Detective Daye can't even fathom. The characters are pretty 2 dimensional, the situations they encounter contrived. I forced myself to finish this b/c I was appalled by how few books I've read this summer. I don't think I'll be revisiting October Daye's adventures in transparent mystery again.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Local Habitation.