Michael's Reviews > Heat Wave

Aug 08, 10

liked it
bookshelves: audio
Read from July 01 to August 07, 2010

** spoiler alert ** It is difficult for me to judge this book on its own merits since I am such a fan of the television show Castle.

As a stand alone book, it's not bad. They elements which comprise the actual mystery are not bad. The two main characters are well actualized, but some of the supporting characters could be fleshed out a little. There were plenty of nice twists. If this was a new author I was picking up cold I would probably give the next book in the series a try.

As a companion piece to the television show, it is more fun. Knowing the Castle characters that the Heat Wave characters are based on is interesting. The reader gets to play "is this how Castle sees them?" The most telling bit is that the Heat Wave character based on Castle is a lot less confident, yet he gets the girl. As an extension of the television show I would give it four stars.

The audio quality is good, but I did have a couple of complaints. A few of the New York accents felt a little forced. Of course, if they had managed to get the "author" Richard Castle (Nathan Fillion) to read the book it would have added another level of authenticity.

Because what we need is another level of fiction on top of fiction, right?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heat Wave.