Mazmi's Reviews > The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

Apr 13, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, film-and-tv, childrens-fiction, classics, favorites
Recommended for: Everyone
Read in April, 2012, read count: 4

I know I said that I wasn’t going to read these books one after the other but I just couldn’t help it and they’re so short and quick. I’ve been reading them in between bouts of coursework and failing to get back into the coursework after.

The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe was my first and only favourite originally, it was the only one I really connected with before and I had seen a cartoon adapted from the book as a child and loved it. That cartoon is the thing I visualise when reading the book and not the film, which is actually really annoying because there is no contest between the cartoon and the film, the film is going to win. Recently I have discovered another favourite-the Magician’s Nephew- which I love just as much as this one, actually I think I love this one just a little more. I love how Lucy discovers another world by stepping into the wardrobe, it’s such an imaginative thing to come up with. I think actually that’s why I love the book so much as a child. It’s the kind of thing children would love to discover in there wardrobes and a many adults I suspect too.

This book is more paced I think than the first book because so much more happens. There is more danger as soon as Lucy steps through that wardrobe, she knows as told by the faun that if there would be trouble if the Witch finds her. Suddenly there is danger because Lucy can’t be discovered in this new world and it is a new world so there could be anyone or anything lurking in the woods watching which makes the reading so much more interesting. It gets more interesting when her siblings go through the wardrobe as well, because there is danger then. Edmund running off to tell the Queen that his siblings have arrived in Narnia adds tension to the books as his siblings and the beavers much no journey and risk being discovered by the Witch.

I’ve noticed something while reading the first two books which I hadn’t really paid attention to before. There appear to be Christian elements to the books, what with the foundling of Narnia where Aslan sings Narnia into being which reminds me of how God supposably created the world. Aslan sacrifices himself for others and then comes back which is what Jesus did, and he provides food for all of the statues he rescues from the evil witch’s home which is also one act of what Jesus did with the fish and bread. Also there is the Sons of Adam and Daughters of Eve thing. It’s probably a really obvious thing but I’ve only really just noticed it.

I will be paying attention to the other books and seeing whether anything crops up in them.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.