Amanda's Reviews > Stiltsville

Stiltsville by Susanna  Daniel

Aug 07, 2010

Read from August 14 to 19, 2010

This is not the type of book that I am normally drawn to. I like my books a bit more strange, to have a bit more intrigue. Sometimes I say I don't like to read books that are "just" about people. This, however, was a treat to read, as it was written by a woman Jon and I know in Madison (mainly through poker and ultimate frisbee games with her husband).

I really enjoyed reading it and in fact read it very quickly. I thought the sections were paced absolutely perfectly -- setting up or hinting at some sort of conflict early on and then back-tracking to describe its development. It was just enough of a draw to make each section very interesting and very compelling. I also really liked the characters and enjoyed reading about their lives. Additionally, the book overall was very touching and certain turns of phrases that were used I thought were just spectacular. One that stuck out in my mind even after the book was finished, after the main character's first kiss with her future husband: "I cherished the sense of caged joy." It's a feeling I remember well.

Because of my association with the author, I also read quite a few book reviews prior to reading, something I also tend not to do, so I went into it with quite a few pre-conceptions. Such pre-conceptions usually do more harm than good (even if it means simply that I become unable to trust my own judgment of a book), but in this case they did not do any damage. And I found the overall experience of reading very calming and very satisfying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stiltsville.