Ambur 's Reviews > City of Lost Souls

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

Jun 14, 12

bookshelves: own-physical-copy, romance, paranormal, top-faves, own
Read from May 27 to 29, 2012 — I own a copy

Loved it! ;D

Merged review:

I totally had to buy myself a second copy of CoLS just so that I would get this bonus content! And it was so worth it! Loved it! :D

Merged review:

I'm loving all these extras! :D But, definitely hold off until you've read CoLS otherwise you will definitely spoil yourself! :)

Merged review:

I love Outtakes and Deleted Scenes! :D This one's pretty short. If you want to read it too, it's on Cassandra Clare's LJ---the link is under the details. :)

Merged review:

Awe, poor Magnus. A short scene, but definitely still moving. Even more so after having read CoLS!

Merged review:

I was extremely torn after I finished the book before this one, City of Fallen Angels, so I was going into CoLS just hoping that I would love it like I'd loved the first three books...and thankfully, I did! :D I am super happy to be able to say that I absolutely loved City of Lost Souls, and I'm extremely excited for the final book, City of Heavenly Fire now...and we have to wait until 2014 for it! It's gonna be a long wait, but at least now if I decide to reread the series, I know it'll end for the time being on a note I'm happy with...so yay for that! :D

One big difference between CoFA and CoLS from the first three books, is that that there are way more narrators! Instead of just being more Jace and Clary centric, these ones include lots of Simon, some of Alec, and in CoLS's case, even some of Maia (and some other characters who shall not be named to avoid spoilers :P)! I like that there are more sides to the story now, but it's definitely a big shift from the earlier books. Hopefully it's one that most fans will adapt to, and like. :)

The biggest thing I'm going to stress in this review is the fact that even if CoFA left you conflicted and kind of tormented (like it did for me :P), then you can still enjoy City of Lost Souls! I seriously was kind of nervous about going into this one because I was just so out of it after I read CoFA. I didn't even know how to react. I knew I loved the writing, but the story as a whole left me just so sad, and so broken up inside...so when I read CoLS I was just hoping and hoping that this one would end on a better note for me...and it did! Yes, it had a cliffhanger, like most of Cassandra Clare's books, but this one wasn't nearly as brutal as CoFA, and it left me content and excited for CoHF rather than feeling all jumbled! What I'm trying to get at here is that I think if CoFA wasn't necessarily a hit for you, you shouldn't be afraid to keep going with CoLS because if you don't read it, you might just miss out on one amazing story! :D

I think by now we all know the characters in this series, but I'll mention some just because. I've read some reviews where people said Clary annoyed them, but I've always loved Clary...I don't care what anyone says. I think Clary is a great heroine. She's strong, determined, and always stands up for what she believes in. She may be impulsive, and doesn't always consider her own safety, but she does it for the people she loves, and I can't help but admire her for that. Yes, maybe she mopes around about Jace and misses him...but seriously? Wouldn't you?! Honestly, I think some people forget that characters are supposed to be people too, and that they're supposed to behave as if they have feelings. :P Anyway, I think Clary is awesome, and I think that she's grown a lot over this series, and in CoLS she really shows it. She shows off some of her awesome Shadowhunter moves, and proves as always that she is willing to do whatever she can for what she believes in and to help those she loves. I'm going to avoid talking about my number one YA heartthrob, Jace, because I really don't want to ruin anything for you all...but I will say that he is in the book, so don't worry, he shows up. :P

So, if you've been afraid to start CoLS because you were unsure after CoFA, I'm going to encourage you to give it a shot! Also, if you've been waiting to read the final three books in this series until they all come out to avoid cliffhangers...I say go for it now! CoLS ends on a great note...one I was seriously okay with it ending on, so I think if you're waiting, it's time to pick it up. :)
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Lost Souls.

Quotes Ambur Liked

Cassandra Clare
“Do you remember,” he said, “when we first met and I told you I was ninety percent sure putting a rune on you wouldn’t kill you—and you slapped me in the face and told me it was for the other ten percent?” Clary nodded.
“I always figured a demon would kill me,” he said. “A rogue Downworlder. A battle. But I realized then that I just might die if I didn’t get to kiss you, and soon.” Clary licked her dry lips. “Well, you did,” she said. “Kiss me, I mean.”
He reached up and took a curl of her hair between his fingers. He was close enough that she could feel the warmth of his body, smell his soap and skin and hair.
“Not enough,” he said, letting her hair slip through his fingers. “If I kiss you all day every day for the rest of my life, it won’t be enough.”

Cassandra Clare
“Not enough," he said, letting her hair slip through his fingers. "If I kiss you all day, everyday, for the rest of my life, it won't be enough.”

Cassandra Clare
“His eyes softened. "But it doesn't change what we are to each other. It's like there's always been a piece of my soul missing, and it's inside you, Clary. I know I told you once that whether God exists or not, we're on our own. But when I'm with you, I'm not.”

Cassandra Clare
“All I know is that I love you. And for the first time, that's good enough.”

05/27/2012 page 165