Molly Blaisdell's Reviews > Adios, Nirvana

Adios, Nirvana by Conrad Wesselhoeft

Aug 29, 10

Read in January, 2010

Fearless. This is a book some may call dangerous. Some may call it evil. Some will hate it. No matter who you are; this book is going to make you uncomfortable. It will make you angry at times. It will challenge you to your core. If you want to read books that leave you the way you are and let you escape from yourself, try some dystopian/vampire/boy-saves-us-from-all-evil book. Try a milk toast version of Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys or a fairy tale. If you wish to "swim toward the shimmer" take the time to plumb the depths of this story.

Adios Nirvana is freefall in language and in purpose. It does not slant the world to make it more palatable or more politically correct. It reveals the world as it is, like chiaroscuro. It's about light and shadow. No varnish to make it all pretty. Jonathan, broken, grieving his brother, lost Telemachus, Jonathan dwells in an almost dream-like world of shadow. This story circles about the depth of friendship, an immortal guitar, obscure prophesy, and the suffering that binds generations. If you live in an ivory tower of righteousness expect to feel your foundations to weaken.

I loved this journey into chaos and music. You will find firecrackers hid in the pages of this book. And they will burn you more than any literal fire. This is a book about the language of emotion, the language of the natural world, it will bring you on a cloud of imagery closer to reality than you ever have been. Voices will emerge. You may find your own voice. I'm not book reviewer, but I love this book. I've dog-eared the pages. I wake up in the night to search out phrases within the music of this story. It's a book about putting your fears aside and living your life, recognizing the value of your story and the need to tell that story, I think. Like Walt said, “Everyday of light and dark is a miracle." And like Jonathan -- "there are miracles in the moments."

Swim toward the shimmer. Swim.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Adios, Nirvana.