Heather Hamilton's Reviews > Perfect Fifths

Perfect Fifths by Megan McCafferty

Oct 10, 10

bookshelves: absolute-favorites, year-2010, sweet-romance, series
Read in August, 2010

NEVER have I been so pleased with the final book in a series!

This series was hard for me to get through, but only because the humor was so high-brow and Ivy League. (My state university education didn't prepare me for this book.) I could still follow along in context, but was supremely glad that I didn't have to explain the jokes to anyone.

It was also hard for me to get through because Jessica, the main character, was always so hard on herself and everyone around her. It made it so difficult to stick with her through her difficult choices. It tore my heart out at times.

The first two books were great. Jessica is in high school, and we all can sympathize with the poor choices she makes and the difficult situations in which she finds herself. In the third book, Jessica is at Columbia, and this was the hardest for me to get through. She and Marcus never seem to be in the same place at the same time, and even when they are, we don't specifically see that part of the story, only the after-effects as Jessica writes in her journal. And Jessica's journal entries are filled with esoteric references that made me feel dumb (because I didn't always get it). The fourth book was heart-wrenching, as Jessica has a huge decision to make, and the journal entries are her thought-by-thought process as she makes it.

Book five was the real winner. McCafferty changed the writing style a bit, in that we no longer are reading journal entries, because everything is happening in present tense. I love the way McCafferty weaves present tense action and the telling of past stories in a way that makes both relevant to each other. But the real kicker is that we get to see inside Marcus' head for once! I won't say how my perception of him changed (or didn't change) based on this inside look, to keep from spoiling. But can I just say how happy I was when I woke up this morning!?

Well done, Megan!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perfect Fifths.