James Curcio's Reviews > Comparative Mythology

131963
Dec 09, 12

bookshelves: immanence-of-myth
Read in December, 2012

This has been a very useful research companion for the Immanence of Myth, although the intention of our respective books is quite different, and as a result I've had to avoid raising my hackles over his niggling about chronological, historical methodology. His approach lends itself to research assistance, as he seems very hesitant to posit theories or interject himself into the material at all. This is an academic stance that follows from the idea of objectivity, maybe with an eye towards the premise of "myth as historic artifact." I tend more towards a psychological and utilitarian reading of myth. However, agreeing with an author's approach is certainly not a necessity, and as I said, this is a very useful research companion for anyone delving into comparative mythology. You may not find yourself getting any of those big picture "a-ha!" moments that can come when an author is willing to piece together elements in a pattern for you- in other words to mythologize for you- but there is something noble, maybe, in being able to resist that urge and just present the information.

Read for the Immanence of Myth project http://www.modernmythology.net
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Comparative Mythology.