Dustin's Reviews > Fury

Fury by Salman Rushdie

Jan 09, 08

bookshelves: crappy-books
Recommended for: not even my own worst enemy
Read in September, 2006

An irredeemable piece of garbage. Sloppy and uninteresting, filled with trite observations and vapid, transparent characters bumbling around in a lame social satire that amounts to nothing deeper or insightful than whatever you and your friends might say about celebrity culture while watching "Entertainment Tonight". For instance: "Celebrity's are stupid. There are more important things in the world." Hey, you're Salman Rushdie!

Even Rushdie's lauded language can't get him out of the stink-pit he dug himself into here, because his "virtuosity" is, in reality, verbosity, and his extended metaphors only serve his own obnoxious, pompous voice and idiot characters rather than any kind of compelling narrative. I only finished this book because I was on an island in the Philippines. I would have thrown it into the ocean but for my respect of the Filipino people and oceans in general.

I had forgotten how much I hated this book until I saw it on my shelf this morning. Seeing it there, eating up valuable space, I began to hate myself terribly. But still not as much as I hate this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fury.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Wood This novel is an epic fail. I keep it in my bathroom incase I need spare toilet paper.