Hannah's Reviews > Her and Me and You

Her and Me and You by Lauren Strasnick

Oct 07, 10

4.5 stars. I came into this with insanely high hopes, and they were not at all disappointed. Just like NOTHING LIKE YOU, HER AND ME AND YOU is a slim, haunting story with chapters like vignettes, and it hits you harder as it goes and means more to you once you've closed it than you realized while you were reading.

The book definitely improves as it progresses; the last third of the book is stunning. The first few scenes were a bit too straightforward to me--the conversations seemed to hit their marks too quickly--but once the main characters and conflicts were introduced, that issue disappeared.

My issues were small. The end was a bit abrupt and maybe a smidge too tidy, and I don't feel like the eating disorder/body image aspects were fully explored, but that isn't what the book is about, and I know I'm more sensitive than most when those issues crop up. And unlike NOTHING LIKE YOU, where the slimness was one of its virtues, I wanted this to be longer. I wanted to see more of the characters.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it was too short; the story did work at this length, and it worked beautifully. Strasnick can still say more in fewer than 200 pages than most can in 400. And it's a compliment to her that I wanted more time with these characters.

All in all, an absolutely breathtaking book, and not one I'm going to forget any time soon.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Her and Me and You.