Debbie's Reviews > Waking the Witch

Waking the Witch by Kelley Armstrong

Aug 07, 10

bookshelves: mystery, fantasy
Read in August, 2010

I don't normally read contemporary paranormal novels, but I do love a good mystery. So, when I received this book as an unrequested review copy from the publisher, I decided to give it a chance. The characters were engaging, and Savannah managed to have a "bad girl attitude" without turning me off. The pacing was very good. The suspense was created by the physical danger to Savannah and the others during the investigation. (Though I was never convinced Savannah wouldn't survive, I did wonder about some of the other characters.)

The mystery part was interesting and kept me curious enough to read the whole book. However, I did figure out what was going on (as much as someone who hadn't read the previous books could) before Savannah did. So, overall, the mystery part was interesting but a bit...complex...to pull off brilliantly, especially when some of the complexity was resolved by having the body count increase. While the mystery was wrapped up by the end of the book, some major issues were left unresolved to create a cliffhanger ending.Overall, I thought the novel was enjoyable and worth reading, but I'm unlikely to read the sequel.

Oddly, reading thrillers and even gory mysteries right before sleeping has never bothered me, but this book gave me a nightmare.

Paranormal Content: Witches and half-demons. References to werewolves, zombies, etc. Magic Content: Spells ("she cast a ____ spell"); telekinesis; burning fingers. Sexual Content: A brief non-body-part explicit sex scene. A fair number of references to sex. Bad Language Content: A fair amount. Averaged about 1 bad word every 1.3 pages. Gore: None.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waking the Witch.