Laurel Watson's Reviews > Bright-Sided: How Positive Thinking Is Undermining America

Bright-Sided by Barbara Ehrenreich

F_50x66
Aug 17, 10

bookshelves: general-psychology
Read in August, 2010

Cynics Unite!!! This is perhaps one of the most thought provoking books I've read in a long time. Ehrenreich discusses how the positive thinking movement has duped Americans into buying into a culture of consumerism and blind faith. Here is a good quote because I'm too lazy to summarize in my own words:

"But always, in a hissed undertone, there is the darker message that if you don't have all that you want, if you feel sick, discouraged, or defeated, you have only yourself to blame."

This book discusses how positive thinking in American culture has evolved, been utilized among businesses to dupe their employees into embracing their lay-offs, has been adopted by mega-churches and used to rationalize insane amounts of consumerism, as well as how it has destroyed the economy. Next chapter to read is entitled "Positive Psychology: The Science of Happiness." Can't wait to hear what she has to say about this!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bright-Sided.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jennifer This is so on my to-read list based on your review!

Laurel Watson Awesome! It's such a great book. It's really made me re-think my thoughts a great deal. I hope you enjoy it. Would love to hear what you think when you get started.