Bonnie's Reviews > Winter's Bone

Aug 06, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: contemporary-fiction
Read in January, 2011

This is one of those books that I didn't enjoy reading, but feel like it was a growing experience.

The extremely-rural, poverty-stricken Ozarks where this novel is set are as remote to most Americans as sub-Saharan Africa. It's a different culture. It's old-school. It's self-sufficient, closed, suspicious of the government/outsiders, patriarchal, violent. This is almost an anthropological study into a world I will never know.

But it's not entertaining. If this was non-fiction, it would be great. But this is fiction, and I demand entertainment from my fiction. I want to sit down and want to want to keep reading it. I do not want to slog through a novel that is less than 200 pages. It's like a green salad with no dressing or a meal of steamed broccoli and plain chicken. I know it's good for me, but I don't enjoy it.

And I know Ree Dolly is supposed to be awesome and tough, and she is, but I just saw True Grit and Ree Dolly is no Mattie Ross. They both showed grit, but Mattie is a lot more likeable and there is just something amazing about Mattie Ross that I never got from Ree Dolly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter's Bone.