Cass - Words on Paper's Reviews > Other Words for Love

Other Words for Love by Lorraine Zago Rosenthal

Aug 06, 2010

bookshelves: 2011-release, bought, read-2011, historical-ya, desperate-for-reread
Read from May 03 to 06, 2011

4/5

I'm not even entirely sure how I feel about this. Other Words for Love is an inspired and empowering book that reveals important morals that I appreciated during my reading. Ari was such a genuine character that not only could I connect and relate to her on so many levels, I was also able to understand her rationale behind her actions and sympathise with her at her low-points.

Other Words for Love is unlike all other contemporaries, in that love is portrayed as OTHER than what it normally entails in YA. It comes in so many different forms in this book, and I seriously just loved that love was not one-dimensional. The topics and issues were brought about in an intelligent and sophisticated manner, while wrapped up in a presentable and easy-to-read format that young-adults and beyond will be able to enjoy while contemplating the ramifications of what love does to people.

+ Beautiful cover and a suitable, simplistic title
+ Character development could not have been better--the people we meet at the beginning are not the same as the people we see at the end.
+ Relatability and historical standpoints. Even though this book is set 25 years~ in the past there is still a lot of relevance to teenagers and young adults today.
+ I'm not sure about other people, but I liked that there was an emphasis on safe sex and contraceptives and checkups, because so much of today's media kind of forgets that those things are important.
+ Ari is such a strong character, who undergoes enormous change and strife. Her narration is a strikingly honest one, and I loved her for it. She's just your average girl, insecure and uncertain of the future. Which is, once again, very relatable. Especially in that time period when experience and excitement was favoured (and still is). She's intelligent and makes mistakes but learns from them and understands the consequences. And it's easy to understand how mistakes can be made in the blink of an eye...
+ Solid writing. Ari's tone remains true throughout the book. It never felt strained; it was all just very believable.
+ The statue. What a strong literary symbol. I'll have to flick through again to pluck out specifics.
+ Touching up on that love in many forms: friendship and family are huge parts of this book too. Especially the strains that can occur when they mix together.

Grr. I wish I would get out of this review-funk. I have all these things I want to say, but actually typing them out? Oh well. This review won't be published until a few weeks from now. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Other Words for Love.

message 1: by Nomes (new)

Nomes can't wait to see what you think cass! i am thinking i will get this one when it comes out in paperback...