Elena's Reviews > The Spymaster's Lady

The Spymaster's Lady by Joanna Bourne

May 08, 2013

bookshelves: historical, romance, favorites, adult, fills-me-with-evangelistic-zeal, reviewed
Recommended for: people who like historical romances but are frustrated by lack of plot or wilting heroines
Read from August 06 to 09, 2010 , read count: 3

Update 5/8/13: After three reads, I still maintain that the first half of this book is pretty much the best HR ever written. But then in the second half I get sad and wish for a return of the first half, which is why I just can't bump this up to more than 4 stars. Still overall awesome though, and high on the list of my favorite romances of all time.

Original review 8/10: Don't be fooled by the hilariously awful cover and marginally sexist title (since the lady is herself a spy in her own right)--this is one of the best romance novels I've ever read. The heroine is a kickass spy who didn't give up her independence to the hero when they got together (as so many romance heroines do, especially in historicals), and the hero didn't expect her to. The plot was absolutely amazing--I'm not sure if I've ever read such a good romance plot. As far as traditional historical romance goes, definitely one of the best.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Spymaster's Lady.

08/06/2010 page 94
05/06/2013 marked as: currently-reading
05/08/2013 marked as: read

Tandie Okay, Elena - I'm taking the plunge! You weren't kidding about the horrible cover! I got the Ebook to avoid embarrassment! I also got a Courtney Milan, The Governess Affair.

Elena Woo! I hope you like them! Good call on the e-book. I still shudder at this cover. Luckily my copy has a somewhat less offensive cover.

Tandie The other cover is WAY better. If I end up purchasing, I'll have to find that one. This cover is too bow-chicka-wow-wow! :)

Tandie You were right. It was awesome. Happy happy happy!