natercopia's Reviews > The Arrival

The Arrival by Shaun Tan

1927773
Aug 06, 10

bookshelves: favorites

Reading this book..ok, not exactly reading because it doesn't contain text in the pages of the book. More like experiencing the journey from the first page to the end. I really enjoy Shaun's illustration, imagination and how he cleverly use good narrative visuals to tell the story.

I read a couple of his previous books like The Red Tree which is well received by people despite it's depressing content (according to some people) and Tales from Outer Suburbia has a couple of interesting tales equip with surreal imaginary images. I found it quite odd in a good way. I noticed that Shaun is very much drawn to illustrating about the dark side and the imaginary characters/world.

The first time I discovered Shaun was a couple months back when I found The Red Tree lying on a couch, wasn't really attracted to the cover but as you flipped the pages, the book sort of charm its way into the heart. Then after that, I got hold of Tales from Outer Suburbia. The third read was a jackpot. I loved the concept, the style, the layout, the old nostalgic pages, the story...practically everything about the hard cover book.

'Reading' The Arrival is like watching a silent movie, something that is new to me. Definitely excited what he's about to come up next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Arrival.