Mark's Reviews > Figuring Out People: Reading People Using Meta-Programs

Figuring Out People by L. Michael Hall

Jan 03, 2008

bookshelves: nlp, arts-and-creativity, business, learning-and-education
Read in January, 2001

I love this book for what it is, a nearly encyclopaedic reference source of metaprogram models. The book begins with a concise discussion of metaprograms and the criteria that were used to select the 55 chosen for inclusion in the book. Hall and Bodenhamer exercised all of their talents in this book, neatly deconstructing and profiling the extensive list of metaprograms. Other 'candidate' metaprograms are discussed at the end of the book, leaving open the door for another edition or a companion book at a (much) later time.

The main problem that I have found with this book is not with the content itself, but rather in how it was positioned from a marketing perspective. Many people I know have come to this book expecting it to be a primer on metaprograms, their identification and use. I strongly discourage people from this expectation. The book is written in an grammatical variant of English known as E-Prime. Within the context of a reference publication, this is an excellent choice. Taken as an instructional tool, however, this book can be an understably awkward and circumlocutious read, especially for those who haven't become comfortable with the dynamics of E-Prime.

For my tastes and needs, however, Figuring Out People fit the bill. It provides a useful taxonomy for understanding metaprograms, especially for the well-versed NLP practitioner. It is well organized and respectably comprehensive as of its publishing date. I recommend it for anyone who is seeking to expand their knowledge of metaprograms.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Figuring Out People.