Audrey's Reviews > A Touch Mortal

A Touch Mortal by Leah Clifford

Apr 25, 11

bookshelves: 2011-debut-author-challenge, 2011_publish, supernatural, young-adult, angels
Read from April 17 to 18, 2011

Eden is depressed, feeling like she doesn’t belong in this world, when Az comes into her life. Suddenly she wants to live again, even after he reveals his angel wings to her. However, Eden isn’t meant to live, and Az must drive her to absolute despair in order to protect her. Eden awakens, unsure what happened, but soon learns that she is a “Sider,” or supernatural person who has committed suicide but is now immortal because of it. Eden is different than the other Siders, though, and must find out what really happened the night she died.

In Clifford’s story, Siders, or people who have committed suicide but come back as immortals, build up something called “Touch” inside of them, that they must pass on to living people on a daily basis. They have to choose the correct person to give their Touch, though, or they could drive that person to commit suicide in turn. They feel the need to give off their Touch, but also can’t live if they lose all of it. Sound confusing? It was. I had a really hard time buying the basic premises of this story, from the Siders and their Touch, to the complexities of fallen angels.

I also had a hard time feeling for any of the characters. What Az does to Eden at the beginning of the story seems like another instance of a romantic lead being a total jerk to a girl “for her own good.” I’m getting pretty tired of stories where this is acceptable, although I’m aware that it’s very typical for romance novels. (The guy doing something mean or awful to the girl was one of the romance genre story characteristics I learned about in a college class that discussed romance fiction.)

All in all, I just couldn’t get behind the supernatural hook of this book, and didn’t feel motivated by the characters or the story. I also didn’t like that it made committing suicide into some cool superpower. That just might be a bad message to send to teens. Twilight and Fallen fans may enjoy reading this book, though.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Touch Mortal.

04/18/2011 page 192