Heather's Reviews > Most Good, Least Harm: A Simple Principle for a Better World and Meaningful Life

Most Good, Least Harm by Zoe Weil

Jul 07, 12

bookshelves: adult
Recommended to Heather by: a speaker at APA convention
Recommended for: see review
Read from June 23 to 24, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I found this book to be inspiring and extremely helpful. I'm always wondering about how to deal with living as a privileged person in a first-world country and knowing how many people, inside and outside of the U.S., are suffering. This gives some very practical suggestions and even discusses guilt and how to deal with it.

My only critique is that the author seemed to pick her own "pet" issues to focus on (she devotes entire chapters to products/shopping, and to food) while stating elsewhere that other issues such as poverty, civil rights, etc., etc., etc. are equally important. It didn't really deter me though, and in fact, I've been more thoughtful since reading the shopping chapter about what really makes me happy and how/why not to just purchase "stuff" especially if it might have a negative impact on others (e.g., sweat shops).

Overall, I think this book recommends a nice, balanced way to contribute to the world while not completely overhauling your current lifestyle or overwhelming yourself or others to do so. I definitely recommend this for anyone else who may be wondering how to feel good about contributing to others and the world while living your own life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Most Good, Least Harm.