Mina's Reviews > Last Night's Scandal

Last Night's Scandal by Loretta Chase

Aug 06, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, genre-romance-2010, ebooks, reread-2011, 2011, fav-romances, genre-romance-all
Recommended for: fans of romances with a backstory, fans of romantic comedy
Read in August, 2010

Utterly, utterly satisfying. Light and even throughout, a leading couple that I’d want in my circle of friends, and a plot to discover hidden treasure. I could not ask for more. I am happy with what Chase came up with for the two engaging children introduced in Lord Perfect; their shared history adds depth evident even if you haven’t read about them before (as I hadn’t), and though it’s ultimately a story of young love, from the character development you do get a sense of their lives going forward with lasting love. I only wish it didn’t have to end where it did! But any more would have probably been too much, all things considered. This is one romance novel I know I’m going to re-read.

*****

Rating upgraded from 4 to 5, because I've reread this several times in the last year, and it always makes me so happy that I can't in good conscience hold its lightness against it. I think I originally decided against giving it a 5 because it doesn't compare in emotional heft to certain other intensely satisfying romance novels, for example Chase's own Lord of Scoundrels. But that's not really a fair comparison; this is a different kind of novel - and a superbly executed and compellingly written one at that, so 5 stars and boatloads of happy sighs in testimony to its delightfulness :) Nov 4/11

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Night's Scandal.

01/04 marked as: read