K's Reviews > How to Say Goodbye in Robot

How to Say Goodbye in Robot by Natalie Standiford

Aug 06, 10

bookshelves: library

It’s a sweet story with engaging characters to boot.

She considers him to be her favorite person. He fiercely does not want to share her with anyone. Together, they’re in their own world.

Beatrice is not a run of the mill “weird girl.” She’s Vada Sultenfuss cuddling up to the pumpkin stain on the floor odd. Once I saw that, the whole book took on a kind of My Girl slant. Jonah wasn’t Thomas J., though; he was the male version of Vada. The lonely Night Lighters became fellow students in Vada’s poetry class. I loved that. Ultimately the book became what that movie was—a great friendship and a time that will always be referred to with a series of “that one time with Beatrice/Jonah…” stories. A little bit epic.

I feel like Beatrice and Jonah are what Sweethearts was trying to tell me what Jenna and Cameron were. In this book, it worked. Beatrice and Jonah’s relationship felt genuine. I cheered them on but felt that inevitable sadness looming that made me appreciate what they had.

(The bright pink cover does it a bit of a disservice. And those pink calendar pages throughout—my poor eyeballs.)
Natalie Standiford’s Mystery Page

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Say Goodbye in Robot.