Whitney Mckim's Reviews > Flawed Dogs: The Shocking Raid on Westminster

Flawed Dogs by Berkeley Breathed

Aug 06, 10

bookshelves: kindle
Read from August 06 to 07, 2010

I agree with another reviewer that this book can't be judged by it's cover. In fact, after reading it I can say that it hardly belongs on the shelves among other pre-teen books. With topics as gruesome as dog fighting, maiming & mutilation, and the mention of selling dogs to laboratories where the horrors they experience should only be left to the nightmares of children, it is certainly not an appropriate read for impressionable minds.

Dog-lovers and animal-lovers in general will find it difficult to see through the end, but if you stick with it a happy ending is in sight. With a "Lassie, you've come home" type ending and a human for every dog who needs a loving home there is redemption among the horrors.

Definitely an adult read and not a bedtime story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flawed Dogs.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Naomi I have to say I disagree that this is an adult read. Introducing foreign aspects of reality into a child's life in the form of a fictional story is a great way for kids and teens to learn and experience things they may not any other way. Showing dog fighting in a bad light serves more to educate than to terrify. As does the mention of the use of animals for laboratory testing. This is an excellent jumping off point for a discussion about a controversial issue.

This isn't one of my favorite books, but I think the messages are age-appropriate (nothing gory or explicitly scary), and kids will enjoy the humor and the overall story.