Leslie's Reviews > Jemima J

Jemima J by Jane Green

Oct 05, 12

Read in February, 2012

1.5 STARS I managed to finish it! I had high hopes for this one & it was no where near what I thought! I would never ever let a young girl read this book for a # of reasons.

**Mild spoiler alerts**

I love Jane Green and her novels but I had some serious issues with this one. I wanted to like it. Really, I did. I thought I would love it but it didn't go where I thought it would plot-wise many times. One point from a realistic standpoint that, as a reader, kept pinging in my mind... She lost that weight way too fast. To be honest, I blinked and missed that part of her losing weight! And if she was SO BIG and was a SIZE SIX a moment later... I couldn't buy it. And she never had a slip once? Don't want to excercise. "Not worth it. Pie is better." Everybody has done that on a diet! But I was not impressed with the binging and purging scene. Awful. I know this is fiction but it has to be relatable! I think it was important for building the character to spend time on that process & less Brad & JJ time. I'll be honest I almost didn't finish the book. The JJ/Brad dating thing was too much! That part didn't hold my interest. The reader knew something was up day 1 when JJ made a call back home. No chemistry w/ those two from day one. I loved the pal she met at the deli! That friendship was a highlight of the book! I am glad I went ahead and finished it. There were certain detains I personally enjoyed. I loved the main character JJ worked for a small newspaper. I could relate as I have done that and wrote obits. :( The inclusion of the Internet cracked me up! That it just started cracked me up! Brought back memories!

-Library book
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jemima J.