Allison's Reviews > Alvin Ho: Allergic to Girls, School, and Other Scary Things

Alvin Ho by Lenore Look

Aug 06, 10

bookshelves: genre-humor, genre-realistic, read-2010, type-kids-books, format-series
Read on August 06, 2010

OK, Alvin Ho is my new favorite. There's his voice -- distinctive, neurotic, precocious, and freaking *adorable.* There's the format of the book -- with lists and diagrams and illustrations (and of course I loved LeUyen Pham's illustrations).

But I think what I loved most is that I really want to live in Alvin's world. He's part of a tight-knit community -- Concord, Massachusetts (which is hard to spell) -- he's part of a very close family, he's part of a school system where they teach kids Thoreau in second grade, he is happily Chinese and happily American with no friction where the two meet. He loves Patriot Day and playing Minutemen and Red Coats and will also inform you that he comes from a line of farmer-warriors dating back to 714 AD. His granddad loves baseball, and teaches them all the different pitches, and also loves to sew and makes their Halloween costumes. Alvin's deskmate is Flea, a girl with disabilities whose disabilities are not really treated as a hinderance for her (indeed, Alvin is hugely jealous of her eyepatch). When she tells him the eyepatch is because she's descended from pirates, he thinks, "It's just as I suspected."

He's smart and funny and terrified and Hansel and Gretel are going to need YEARS of therapy after being stuck in a cage, which is why that's the scariest story of all.

I loved every single thing about this book and I cannot wait for more.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alvin Ho.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

An Odd1 I too think Flea and the Ho family and neighborhood are ideal, wish I'd lived there.