AH's Reviews > Iron Crowned

Feb 28, 11

bookshelves: fae, fantasy, own, zzread-feb2011
Read from February 26 to 27, 2011 — I own a copy

Not what I expected - 2.5 stars

Most of my reading time with this book was spent being annoyed at the main characters. There were even a few instances of me wanting to fling the book across the room. Don’t get me wrong – it’s not a bad book. It just drove me crazy.

Words can not express my frustration and hatred for one of the main characters. Here’s a hint: he is the despised furry one – Kiyo. Why, Eugenie, Why? After the end of the last book, there would have been no way that I would buy a relationship between Eugenie and Kiyo. Why, Eugenie, why? You were so happy with Dorian. I was happy with Dorian.

I started scratching my head when Dorian suggested that Eugenie go on a quest for the Iron Crown with Kiyo. Yes, I understand that Kiyo was immune to iron, but still, the beast was your girlfriend’s ex. Weird, no? The quest was a little boring in my opinion, not too memorable and a little too quick. A few scary snakes, some fire, and there it was.

It seemed to me that Eugenie spent most of the book getting played by all the main characters. That has to be the reasonable explanation, right? Those gentry are tricky at the best of times, so why wouldn’t Eugenie be more aware of the jockeying for position?

I found that Eugenie spent far too much time “commuting” between the two worlds. In a way, her absence was responsible for much of her problems.

There were a few characters that I did enjoy. Jasmine, who has always been a little bit of a wild card, surprised me with her newly found maturity and support for her big sister. What a difference from the last book. I’ve always enjoyed Tim and Lara’s adversarial phone message relationship. They were very cute together. Volusian remains my all time favorite character in the series. I love how he is loyal to Eugenie even though he would turn around and kill her at his first opportunity for freedom.

This book felt like a filler book. It is the book where I decided that I despise Kiyo more than any other character. I am still curious as to where the next book will go. There is still a prophecy to worry about, so I guess I will read the next book in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Iron Crowned.

02/26/2011 page 1
0.0% "Buddy read with Katie." 6 comments
02/26/2011 page 37
11.0% "And hello Kiyo. Still snarky as ever..." 4 comments
02/26/2011 page 124
35.0% "It seems odd to me that Dorian would want the kitsune to go on a quest with Eugenie." 21 comments
02/27/2011 page 132
35.0% "Immanuelle is an interesting addition to the story."
02/27/2011 page 190
51.0% "I'm not sure that I like either Kiyo or Dorian right now. Someone is playing Eugenie." 16 comments
02/27/2011 page 316
84.0% "Definitely hating that Kiyo. Time to throw the book across the room." 2 comments
02/27/2011 page 375
100.0% "This is a great book for Kiyo bashing."

Katie It seems like Eugenie is more at ease with Dorian, and her feelings seem more genuine

message 2: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH I loved the dinner table scene with Ysabel's mom trying to match Dorian to Ysabel while Dorian's "admiring" Eugenie's dress...

All I could think of was "When Harry Met Sally" the restaurant scene during that.

Katie Wasn't that great? Dorian is concerned for Eugenie, where kilo seems to have a mysterious agenda...I know the back cover makes it sound as if Dorian has his own agenda, I am not buying it-I thinkdorian truly wants Eugenie at his side...gosh I hope he gives her a different pet name besides WOMAN

message 4: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH Oh, I am sure Dorian has an agenda. But he is enjoying himself at the same time.

Katie Seems he push Eugenie to leith, then felt guilty when it back fired...so much he had to kill leith...seems history is repeating itself,with Dorian suggesting kiyos help, I wonder if he has plans to off kiyo, or Dorian has been masterminding this war from the get go

message 6: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH Oh, good plan. Maybe he'll get Kiyo like Leith.

I can't keep my eyes open any more. I may call it a night soon.

Katie Okay, it has been fun. Talk to you tomorrow...

message 8: by Darkfallen (new)

Darkfallen Ah the books that need a good spanking and time out in the corner...grrrr;)

message 9: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH Kiyo needed a good spanking! (and a few other characters).

message 10: by Darkfallen (new)

Darkfallen Holy crap how did you answer so fast!! Lolz is there a way to get notified instantly rather than thru email?

As for the book that sucks to hear. The only thing I've read by Rochelle is Vampire Academy and I totally loved it. But I do remember throwing the book when Adrian started weaseling his way to Rose. In the end of the series I started to like him but not as much as Dimitri, which also got a spanking a few times. Ms. Meade must just like to ruffle our feathers. Lolz

message 11: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH I use gmail for Goodreads. It works very well and messages get sent almost immediately.

I like Richelle Mead's books - this series is pretty good. Storm Born, Thorn Queen, and Iron Crowned. Most people don't like Storm Born as much as Thorn Queen.

Mead seems to make her characters waffle between men a little too much. After the 2nd book, there would have been no way that I would even look at Kiyo, but that's just me. I guess if a book incites a lot of emotion, it can't be that bad.

message 12: by Penny (last edited Feb 28, 2011 06:51AM) (new)

Penny Richelle Mead is pretty much dead to me. After what she did to the succubus series and how she ended the Vampire Academy series, I've given up on her. Good thing too. Sounds like she writes the same basic story over and over and over. Don't get me wrong, I like her stories. At first. Then Richelle goes and messes everything up.

I've had it up to HERE with Richelle Mead's love triangles. They wouldn't be so bad if THE guy, the one who will so obviously win the protagonist's heart in the end, didn't go around doing such unforgivably wrong things.

Examples: Seth: cheats on Georgina with her best female friend then asks said best friend to marry him; Dimitri: pretty much rapes Rose over and over and over again, threatens to make her a vampire, threatens to kill her, writes horrible creepy notes, rejects Rose over and over again and so on--btw, I don't care if he was stragoi at the time, that's like saying "he only beats me when he's drunk"; Kiyo: Didn't want to kill the guy who abducted and then raped Eugenie over and over and over again and he wants Eugenie to abort her baby and (from what I heard) tries to kill her! WTF! Look I understand his motive. To an extent. But still, you'd think his love for Eugenie would make such an act impossible.

What ticks me off the most is even though Kiyo is a giant douchebag, we all know Eugenie is going to end up with him.

I also know that Dorian will end up being extra eeeee-vil. He will attempt to make sure her twins take over the world. In the end Kiyo and Eugenie will be forced to murder him, take over his kingdom and have sex on or next to Dorian's corpse--because that just seems like something Richelle Mead would have her characters do. Especially in THIS series. Tell me I'm wrong.

message 13: by Vinaya (new)

Vinaya I have NO idea what you're talking about, Penny, since I haven't read this series, but considering it's Richelle Mead, I would be more inclined to tell you you are so absolutely RIGHT. :)

message 14: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH I hope you are wrong about Dorian, Penny. I really hope so. It was so weird having such emotion and anger at a fictional character. I kept thinking Kiyo was just a furry Seth.

Sofija Penny writes: "What ticks me off the most is even though Kiyo is a giant douchebag, we all know Eugenie is going to end up with him"
I don't know about that. Usually we can clearly see who is the main love interest that just destined to end up with main heroine. But in this series I actually cannot tell if it is Dorian or Kiyo.

I am happy that Eugenie will have babies. I started to wonder why Richelle Mead writes all her main female characters being childless. Rose can’t have children because dhampires can’t reproduce with each other. Georgina can’t have children because she is succubus. Eugenia couldn’t have children because of the prophesy. I am glad that this pattern is broken now.

message 16: by Vinaya (new)

Vinaya Heh, this is because RM's heroines are largely self-inserts. Since Richelle is about to become a mommy, I guess she figured it was time one of her MCs did too!

message 17: by Penny (new)

Penny Georgina will have babies. The Dream, remember? I'm convinced it's true. There is some loophole that will allow Georgina out of her contract. She'll get married to Seth and make babies till they die. The End. (who cares all the people THEY screwed over to get to their happily ever after). Ugh. I hate Richelle Mead! Why can't she write something new? Why the template, the formula?

message 18: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH Vinaya wrote: "Heh, this is because RM's heroines are largely self-inserts. Since Richelle is about to become a mommy, I guess she figured it was time one of her MCs did too!"

Never thought of that. I guess the maternal thing had to come out in a book or two.

message 19: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana Penny wrote: "Georgina will have babies. The Dream, remember? I'm convinced it's true. There is some loophole that will allow Georgina out of her contract. She'll get married to Seth and make babies till the..."

Hm, because people are buying her books? Why should she bother coming up with anything new? Just copy and paste and write 4-5 books a year. Works for her.

message 20: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH I think I need to read Last Sacrifice, just to compare now.

Katie AH, I forgot you were trying to give Last Sacrifice some time before you read it. Penny is so dang funny..."He only beats me when he is drunk," "They will take over his kingdom and have sex on his grave..." I love her rants.

Wicked Incognito Now Okay--I didn't read all of your review or any of these comments because I haven't read the book yet and I don't want to be spoiled but F---KING KIYO'S BACK!?????!!!!!!

NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please God, no. I can't believe it. I was sooooo looking forward to this book.

message 23: by Darkfallen (new)

Darkfallen I feel like I need to read these books just so I can join in the hating. Lolz

message 24: by Vinaya (new)

Vinaya Oh, and in case you don't believe me about RM's self-insertive, narcissistic tendencies, take a look at this:

Photobucket

That's her face on the cover!!!

message 25: by Penny (new)

Penny Uh, yeah, that sure as hell looks a lot like her. Now I hate her even more.

message 26: by Penny (last edited Feb 28, 2011 08:43AM) (new)

Penny @ Katie: what can I say, I'm a little nuts. My husband and friends describe me as 'passionate' when it comes to books. But I think nuts is more appropriate because of my tendency to rant and rave about things that tick me off in the literary world. So happy Goodreads exists for this exact reason, otherwise I'd have no outlet for my addiction and my need to talk about it.

message 27: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH I think Mead's books bring out the passionate fans.

Yes, April - Kiyo's back.....I don't get it either.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} AH wrote: "Yes, April - Kiyo's back.....I don't get it either."

WTF?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! And someone mentioned babies, they're not his are they? Please say no.

I'm not looking forward to reading this now :(

message 29: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH Oh, read it. You know you want to. Lips sealed on the other points.

message 30: by Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (last edited Feb 28, 2011 11:27AM) (new) - added it

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} AH, you're so mean! My copy isn't released until 31st March so I've got a long wait to read it.

message 31: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH I'll look forward to your status updates.

Katie Ames, you will get no sympathy from AH...

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} I can see that. She has no compassion for her fellow readers *lip trembles, eyes filling*

If they're Kiyo's the book is going in the shredder.

message 34: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH Sorry, Ames... Don't throw that book in the shredder just yet. Things are never as they seem in paranormal world.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} AH wrote: "Things are never as they seem in paranormal world."

They better not be and the explanation better be perfect.

message 36: by Christina (last edited Feb 28, 2011 02:13PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Christina I hope Mead isn't setting up Kiyo to be Eugenie's HEA, but it seems all the more likely in this book. Ugh.
(view spoiler)

Katie There is a list just as long setting up Seth to be Georgina's HEA; and it is just as grossly dilusional...I don't get it.

message 38: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH I also feel that there was a lot of jockeying for position in the background like (view spoiler)

Galla I didn't get the sense that Mead is setting Kiyo up to be the HEA at all. I felt like Mead is all for her readers really hating Kiyo at this point. (view spoiler)

message 40: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH Galla, that is a good theory. I hope you're right.

Christina Galla wrote: "I didn't get the sense that Mead is setting Kiyo up to be the HEA at all. I felt like Mead is all for her readers really hating Kiyo at this point. [spoilers removed]"

That makes much more sense, I hope you're right!

Galla I hope so, too! Does anyone know how many books she plans for this series? I think I remember somebody saying the next book would be the last, but it seems like it would be hard to wrap everything up in just one more book.

message 43: by AH (last edited Feb 28, 2011 05:36PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH Galla wrote: "I hope so, too! Does anyone know how many books she plans for this series? I think I remember somebody saying the next book would be the last, but it seems like it would be hard to wrap everything ..."

Her website says unknown number, but most likely 4 books. I'll bet on 6 as that's the number for her other series and why not be the same?

Galla Yeah, I have a hard time thinking she'll be able to keep this one to just four--unless we get a mysterious 10-15 year gap in the narrative at some point.

Galla Side note, since we're talking about prophecies: if you're bored, check out the worst paper on Oedipus ever. It's so bad that it's hilarious. The story was that this student wrote the whole thing while really, really high. The professor's comments crack me up, though I can't believe it got a marginally passing grade.

Christina AH wrote: "Galla wrote: "I hope so, too! Does anyone know how many books she plans for this series? I think I remember somebody saying the next book would be the last, but it seems like it would be hard to wr..."

Really? Last year she said it was definitely 4 books. Eesh, I hope she doesn't drag it out unnecessarily. :(

message 47: by Christina (last edited Feb 28, 2011 06:47PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Christina Galla wrote: "Side note, since we're talking about prophecies: if you're bored, check out the worst paper on Oedipus ever. It's so bad that it's hilarious. The story was that this student wrote the whole thing w..."

Οh my God, that was the most insane thing I have ever read! LMAO! I love how the professor is actually grading it. What was that? LOL!

message 48: by Darkfallen (new)

Darkfallen Galla: OMG worst paper, that's hilarious! I can't even believe that's real lolz

message 49: by Darkfallen (new)

Darkfallen I mean seriously how did the professor not just throw it in the trash?!

Galla ROFL! My favorite part is page 3, with no other text than: "This is page 3."

« previous 1