Laura Summers's Reviews > Hex Hall

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

This review was written for www.bookchickcity.com (rating was 7/10)

The cover of this book is oddly deceiving. When I first looked at it, I wasn't sure if the book would be for me. As it looked a little bit too YA for my taste. How could I be so wrong?

This book is hilarious! Full on, laugh out loud funny. It's like a cross between Harry Potter and Mean Girls meets Sabrina.

Sophie is a witch. Having never met her father, she has been raised by her human mother and has had no magical education. But when one spell too many goes wrong, she is sent to Hecate (Hex) Hall. A reform, boarding school for magical children. She's never even met another witch before, let alone shape-shifters and faeries.

Hex Hall is like a baptism of fire. Firstly she's nearly attacked by a werwolf and then she's roomed with the only vampire and outcast of the school. If that isn't bad enough, there's the beautiful, coven led by Elodie who seem to have it in for her.

Archer Cross is Elodie's boyfriend and let me briefly say *swoon*. Archer is an interestingly complex character and Sophie can't help her feelings for him although she knows nothing can come of it.

Interwoven amidst the magic fun is a great sinister mystery with pupils falling victim to a malevolent and dark force. Suddenly, Sophie needs to face up to family's past as she begins to realise who she really is.

Sophie is a great character and it's easy to engage and go on her journey with her. You find yourself willing her to succeed. I totally loved Jenna, the vampire obsessed with pink! The alone was enough to endear me to her.

This isn't a complex novel, it's an easy read and maybe at times a little predictable. But all the characters are well rounded and engaging. The mystery was tantalising and kept the pages turning and it had a great twist at the end.

VERDICT:

A light, fun read that I read in the space of a day. It is undoubtedly aimed at a young adult audience, but this didn't affect my enjoyment at all. I would say it is a book for all ages. The book had a brilliant ending that left me wanting for more. The second book in the series is already on my wish list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hex Hall.

09/02/2010 page 335

dateDown_arrow    newest »

John I'm interested to see what you think. I found it SO FUNNY. The only other book that has made me laugh that much would be...pretty much all of the Georgia Nicholson books. :)

Laura Summers Hi John :)
You know I wasn't sure if I'd like this book when I picked it up. I thought it might be a bit too YA for me. But I picked it up yesterday and I'm already over 100 pages in. It's great fun, really enjoying it!
I haven't read any Georgia Nicholson, but sounds like I should give it a try!

John Hi Laura. :) The cover is very misleading. While the book is definitely YA, I think the humor is appreciated by adults as well. Georgia Nicholson is a character, actually. The first book is called Angus, Thongs, and Full Frontal snogging. The author is a UK comedian I believe.