Ashley Sasnett's Reviews > Blue Rage, Black Redemption: A Memoir

Blue Rage, Black Redemption by Stanley Tookie Williams

Jul 13, 2008

I am really eager to read this book. This was technically a Christmas gift for my husband but I think it will be the gift that keeps on giving. Anyone else read it yet?
UPDATE-Ok finished this one. It was a mediocre read. He spends way too much time listing the various people he encounters as he is out "crippin' (his word no mine) and I just don't need a list of twenty people at gathering that resulted in a fight.
Also he is very sketchy about many personal details. Like when he talking about recovering from gunshots wounds (that almost left him paralyzed) he barely discusses his feelings-his introspection and self awareness seems to be missing. The epilogue by Barbara Becnel is the best part and when she discusses his execution I cried.
You can tell Williams isn't a writer and he doesn't draw the reader in. But that is aside, his message is profound and it is almost like he focuses so hard on the anti-violence and anti-gang aspects of his goal in writing the book that style is rendered secondary.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Rage, Black Redemption.