Kyle's Reviews > Brave New World

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

Sep 06, 10

Read from August 05 to September 06, 2010, read count: 1

Felt a little guilty to mention this book in my master's application (a program that I will be starting tomorrow) and never had read it. Became my summer reading project and was surprised how relevant the story is not only to my studies, but also to the way things have been going since September 11th, 2001. Margaret Atwood's introduction helped to connect the dots, but I was really impressed with the characters of Mustapha Mond and John Savage (quite literally world vs. man). Where would I fit in, as one the only people who have read Shakespeare's plays? As much as I would like to have risen through the ranks and become a World Controller, more likely I would have ended up an outcast - however Iceland or any of the other islands sound nice (except, of course for Cypress). So much of the background, too, concerned how humans are harvested in bottles and taught lessons hypnopaedically resembles the frightening solution my wife and I might resort to if our family and career plans do not follow the natural course. This novel shows the future as less scary yet unspeakably inhuman world that may yet be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brave New World.

08/05/2010 page 18
7.0% "Wonder what will happen at ten to five on the roof"