Sarah (Head Stuck In A Book)'s Reviews > The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Feb 12, 12

bookshelves: review-copy, young-adult, paranormal, owned-and-read
Read from February 04 to 12, 2012

What can I say that hasn't already been said about this book?
Ever since I'd read the synopsis for this book I've wanted to get my hands on it, it didn't help that the cover is so gorgeous either, or that it was so hyped up.
This book was amazing and I can't say enough good things about it, the concept was fresh and original, the characters were great and where can I get my own Noah Shaw?
Mara wakes up in hospital with no memory of being in a building that collapsed on her, she definately doesn't remember being there with her boyfriend Jude, best friend Rachel and Jude's sister Claire, she's shocked to discover that she's the sole survivor and she got out relatively unscathed except for a bruise on her face.
It is recommended that Mara makes a fresh start so her and her family move to Florida, Mara starts hallucinating and keeps seeing Jude and Claire, she loses track of time and her memory slowly comes back to her in dreams.
On her first day she meets the most gorgeous boy in the whole school, he's British and has himself quite a reputation, but Noah is hiding something and it's not till further on into the book we find out what that is.
Added to the hallucinations are deaths of people in the exact same way that Mara had seen them in her head and she starts to wonder if maybe she killed them herself as a lot of the time she doesn't know what's real or not, and her parents start to worry and even send her to a psychiatrist.
What's great about this story is that you don't know what to believe whether what you're reading is fact or fiction or just some hallucination that Mara is experiencing.
There are so many great characters in this book including Mara's brothers Daniel who always sticks up for her and Joseph, she also has a friend Jamie who I really like as well.
This book will have you guessing as to what is actually happening to Mara and how Noah ties into it, and the ending is a complete shocker and I can't wait for the next book to find out what is going to happen.
I'm definately a fan of Michelle Hodkin's and I'll be eagerly waiting for the second book in the amazing series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer.

Quotes Sarah (Head Stuck In A Book) Liked

Michelle Hodkin
“Noah shifted on the bed, and the oddest crunching sound came underneath him. I looked, really looked, at the bed for the first time.

"What," I asked slowly, as I eyed the animal crackers strewn all over it, "the hell?"

"You were convinced they were your pets," Noah said, not even trying to suppress his laughter. "You wouldn't let me touch them.”
Michelle Hodkin, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

Michelle Hodkin
“Why do you always look like you just rolled out of bed?'
'Because usually I have.' And the way he raised his eye-brow at me made me blush.
'Classy,' I said.”