Debasmita's Reviews > A Blue So Dark

A Blue So Dark by Holly Schindler

Aug 05, 10

I don’t know how I am supposed to start writing a review for this book...to describe it in one word,I would say ‘WOW’!

To say ‘I loved A Blue So Dark’ would certainly be an understatement! Holly Schindler did a swell job on the book. From providing knowledge about schizophrenia to rooting the reader’s interest in the book from the very first page,Holly has been impeccable! From the synopsis itself,I was aware that A Blue So Dark is a different kind of book-a kind of book I am not used to reading or to be more precise,not used to liking. But Holly proved me so wrong. I not only liked it,but loved it! I can now undoubtedly say that A Blue So Dark is one of my all time favorites!
Aura(such a beautiful name) was a very loveable and relatable character. My heart went out to Aura(and her mother) as she tried single handedly to nurse her mother back to health with her love alone. Her father has long abandoned them and has moved on with a younger and prettier wife and now,even refuses to help Aura when her mother lapses into one of her ‘episodes’. Aura tries to juggle school,her mother,friend and crush at the same time but in vain. She at last has to break her promise to her mother and get her admitted into a mental hospital,something which she had sincerely avoided for a very long time. To be true,almost felt like shaking Aura and infusing some sense in her. She should have got her mother admitted to the hospital a long time ago. But her love for her mother and fear that she would be taken away from her(also her promise to her mother) kept her from doing so. But isn’t that how teenagers behave? Aura’s conflict between her passion for art and fear of it was also extremely touching. Though on one hand I felt a little tired of Aura’s lack of perspective,on the other hand I wanted to hug her and tell her that it will be all right. She was such a strong girl,a very courageous one,one a reader can’t help but admire.

The ‘episodes’ Grace lapses in gave me goosebumps. I really found myself with Aura in her efforts to reason with her mother and take care of her. The episodes were so vividly described,they were almost spooky!

Another thing I adored about the book was Aura’s poems. Her poems felt like a plunge into the depths of Aura’s emotions. The poems,beautifully written,gave me a deep insight into Aura’s every feeling and fear.

The book also deals with the issue of teenage pregnancy and the cons of it through the character of Aura’s best friend. Holly Schindler has been unique in the topics she choose to discuss in the book through the medium of YA. Her contribution to YA is huge. She is an awesome author!
Holly Schindler’s writing is beautiful,lyrical,poetic and almost magical. The strikingly beautiful writing was in sharp contrast for me to the mental illness the book proposed to discuss-and that is one thing I admire about this book. The way Holly has juxtaposed the much feared mental illness with her lyrical prose struck me as very interesting.

A Blue So Dark is a must read for everyone! I love this book! One of the best books I have read till date! You just can NOT miss out on this absolutely stunning book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Blue So Dark.