February Four's Reviews > Metatropolis

Metatropolis by John Scalzi

Nov 04, 10

Read from August 05 to October 30, 2010

As usual, Scalzi's story was the one I liked the best. I got the feeling the book was arranged from weakest to strongest, definitely. With the exception of the Jay Lake, every story in this collection is great. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone interested in reading a collection of same-universe stories by different authors.

My thoughts on the world: I find the notion of the city-states intriguing. They feel somewhat artificial, but the concept is more-or-less sound. Whether or not they'll actually come to fruition? Well... that depends on how the political winds blow. Great read, though.

[All the comments below this line are thoughts while reading the book and somewhat superceded by the overall review above.]

Still reading, but I just popped in to say: Jay Lake's opening story (the one with Tygre) is really difficult to read. I have no interest in it, I detest the characters, and I'm not sure if the tropical-jungle-in-the-Pacific-northwest atmosphere is supposed to pervade the rest of the book, because if it is then I sort of regret buying it. I keep putting off reading the book and finding something else to do because I don't like it enough. I think I'm just going to skip that story and call it a loss.

ETA 30 August 2010: Stopped reading the Jay Lake and skipped ahead to the Tobias Buckell story. The twist made me think of Cory Doctorow, though this is not a bad thing per se. Onwards to the Elizabeth Bear story, after I get more distance.

ETA 24 September 2010: I still haven't gotten the urge to continue reading the book. Sad, because I like Scalzi and I'm sure the Scalzi will be entertaining/funny. Maybe after I read a few other books I'll come back.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Metatropolis.

09/23/2010 page 133

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Abbey If you still don't like Metatropolis after reading more stories ("Use everything but the squeal" and "To Hie from Far Cilenea" are my favorites), I'd be happy to swap your copy for something else. I didn't like Jay Lake's writing, either.

February Four Abbey wrote: "If you still don't like Metatropolis after reading more stories ("Use everything but the squeal" and "To Hie from Far Cilenea" are my favorites), I'd be happy to swap your copy for something else. ..."

Sorry--Scalzi signed the book, so it's not leaving my hands. ^_^ Also, my husband has read most of the book and shared my opinion of the Jay Lake, but liked all the others so far. I enjoyed the Tobias Buckell and am waiting for my husband to finish so I can start on the Elizabeth Bear story.