Lisa's Reviews > The Transformation of Bartholomew Fortuno

The Transformation of Bartholomew Fortuno by Ellen Bryson

Aug 06, 10

I've been a big fan of circus/freak novels since I read the ultimate freak masterpiece, Geek Love by Katherine Dunn oh so many years ago. I was infatuated at the mere IDEA of Bartholomew Fortuno before I'd even read a page. My hopes high I launched eagerly into this circus novel set in New York City during the time of Lincoln's assassination. With an author educated in English at Columbia and Creative Writing at John Hopkins I expected lyrical, eloquent prose,and interesting, accurate history. Unfortunately, most of this book fell flat. The writing was clunky and clumsy; the characters were frozen in neurotic homeostasis for most of the book. I wanted this book to soar like a trapeze artist, but it never really got off the ground.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Transformation of Bartholomew Fortuno.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne hey sugar
i had to listen to a customer go on and on about this book on the phone today!!!

Lisa you mean they LIKED it?

Lisa You want a tour de force? Try Lamb Bright Saviors by Robert Vivian. A traveling southern preacher's life mission: to die in front of a group of strangers. Told from multiple characters' points of view this unusual storyline takes you on a deep emotional journey. I was stunned and transported by the tidal wave of artful brilliance found in this book. Tell Nancy. Tell Roxanne. Tell everyone! This is one of the most finely crafted books I have read in years.