Chrissy's Reviews > Mouse Guard: Winter 1152

Mouse Guard by David Petersen

Dec 22, 10

bookshelves: graphic-novels, fantasy
Read on December 23, 2010

Even more wonderful than its predecessor! Set in the difficult winter after the foiled rebellion against the Guard, the story in this volume follows a core group of mice as they travel to the various towns in the territory to gather much-needed supplies for the Guard's capital city, splintering into smaller and smaller groups along the way under the pressure of dangers, both environmental and predatory. Most of the characters really come into their own in this volume, and we get the sense of real depth that was lacking from some of them in the debut story. Even the foes show a surprising amount of depth, as we get a glimpse of how the world looks to other creatures not quite as small as the titular mice.

Desolate snowy landscapes really play well to Peterson's style; the issue is full of breathtaking illustrations, relaying the vastness of a snow-covered earth through the eyes of a tiny creature. The masterful style in a particularly memorable sequence involving an owl-- moody and mysterious and thoroughly frigid, swarms of big downy snowflakes falling on the minute animals as they gaze into the threatening sky-- is alone worth the price of admission. I cannot recommend this series enough, and again, I look forward to more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mouse Guard.