Meghan's Reviews > Linger

Linger by Maggie Stiefvater

Aug 18, 2010

bookshelves: young-adult, fantasy, paranormal, werewolves
Recommended for: fans of Shiver
Read from August 15 to 18, 2010 — I own a copy

Warning: this review may contain spoilers if you haven't already read Shiver.

Alright, now I wish that I had given Shiver a lower rating. Because Linger is actually better! I'm amazed. This book had me hooked, from beginning to end.

In Linger, Grace and Sam finally get to be a normal couple. Cured from the condition that turned him into a wolf when the temperature got too cold, Sam can now spend all year with Grace, as a human. But Grace is feeling something strange beneath her skin. Add into the mix Cole, a new wolf with attitude, and Sam and Grace's life isn't as normal as they would have hoped.

So this book is told in four perspectives instead of two. Grace and Sam are still narrating, but now we also have Isabel, who you'll remember from the first book, and Cole, a new wolf. And each chapter can have more than one narrator. I think this is what kept me reading. The continuous switching back and forth between the narrators kept the plot fast and exciting.

The romance I so loved between Sam and Grace is still there...and there's even a new romance starting to bloom. Leaving me to believe that the next book is going to be very interesting indeed.

Not to mention that this book ended in a total cliffhanger! I mean, the ending to Shiver was satisfying enough, right? As a standalone book, it would have been alright. But in Linger? Nope. It leaves you wanting a lot more. In a good way, of course.

And woot! Grace finally stands up to her parents. Good for her. And though I still find the circumstances of Grace and Sam's romance a tad unbelievable, I still love them to pieces and want them to be happy. And to buy their red coffee pot!

Cole is an amazing character. He's complex like Sam, only in a different way. And speaking of Sam, we get to see more into his past as well.

And the book's text is printed in green! Beautiful, and very easy to read. Which surprised me. I only wish the chapters still had a temperature to accompany them. But oh well, it wasn't as relevant in this book, I suppose.

Anyways, fans of Shiver will not be disappointed with the second installment of this series. The only thing they may be upset about is having to wait for Forever. July 2011.

I hope it's printed in purple.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Linger.

08/16/2010 page 108