Alisha Marie's Reviews > Let's Go Play At The Adams'

Let's Go Play At The Adams' by Mendal W. Johnson

Aug 05, 2010

bookshelves: horror, tearjerkers
Read in August, 2010

I really have no idea what to rate this. I mean, Let's Go Play at the Adams is one book that I truly regret reading. I'm intentionally ignoring Twilight and Companions of the Night (they were two of the worst books I've ever read) because those really didn't make me feel physically ill while reading them. Let's Go Play at the Adams did. I don't regret reading it because it was terribly written or because it was complete and utter crap, but rather because it was just so disturbing and horrifying.

I read The Girl Next Door about 8 months ago and I feel the need to mention that book in this review because it and Let's Go Play at the Adams sort of go hand in hand. They deal with the same premise: a young woman who gets captured and tortured by a bunch of children. While The Girl Next Door was disturbing, I think Let's Go Play at the Adams was even more so. I had seen The Girl Next Door movie before I read the book so I didn't go in there blind. I knew what was going to happen. And while I was shocked and horrified, I didn't have that sense of apprehension because the movie stuck very close to the book. In Let's Go Play at the Adams' I was a total wreck. I was literally shaking. I couldn't take the not knowing what was going to happen that I read the last few pages to see what happened and then went back and finished. And I NEVER do that. It's just that the not knowing what's going to happen is worse.

I guess another reason why this book traumatized me more than The Girl Next Door is that in TGND while the kids were also terrible, you have to understand that a big reason they were inflicting this cruelty is because they had the permission of a sadistic adult whom they trusted. In Let's Go Play at the Adams' you have kids who know what they're doing is wrong, who know they could get in trouble by doing this, yet do it anyway. It's chilling. And I couldn't help but wonder with the captive "Why? Why? Why?" I guess what's even more terrifying was the underlying message. If children are capable of this cruelty than, really, who isn't? Are we all just ticking time bombs? Once an opportunity to inflict pain presents itself, would we do it? These are doubts that I really try not to dwell in when it comes to my "pleasure" reading.

So, Let's Go Play at the Adams was terrible. It was superbly written and the author suprisingly got into the inner psyches of the children really well. Due to this, I'm rating it four stars. I can't rate it five because it was too disturbing for me. I finished it about a half hour ago and I'm still shaking. I haven't sufficiently calmed down yet. I was mess while reading it and I'm a mess even though I finished it. I suspect that this will be one book that will haunt me for a long time. Do I recommend it? I don't really think that I do. If you're disturbed easily or even semi-easily I suggest you stay far, far away from this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let's Go Play At The Adams'.