amy's Reviews > The Doctor and the Diva

The Doctor and the Diva by Adrienne McDonnell

Sep 16, 10

Read in September, 2010

I was drawn to this book by the beautiful cover and the title, as well as the blurb from the back. I also like to read first novels, and this is Adrienne McDonnell's.

Her writing is lush and sumptuous, with finely detailed characters that inhabit richly imagined (and I'd assume, researched) settings, from chilly turn-of-the-century Boston to charming Italian towns. I found that her writing came most alive when she wrote scenes in tropical Trinidad. I'm not being glib when I say I could practically smell the coconut. Similarly to, say, Sara Gruen's Water for Elephants, you truly feel submerged in the world the author has created. It makes for quick, enjoyable reading.

My only qualms were with the way the stories tied up at the end. I felt that some of the plot points were a little forced, either by giving a character an unrealistic opportunity or an oversimplified out. Still, I'd recommend this book for anyone who enjoys character-driven fiction in a historical setting.

A word of caution. This book deals with characters who are trying desperately to become pregnant, and a character who experiences a stillbirth. These issues are described in detail. If someone is pregnant or trying to become pregnant I would imagine this could be a very difficult or upsetting story to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Doctor and the Diva.